Desert splendor at the Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum, Tucson, AZ

On Wednesday, Dec 28, 2016 I visited the Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum (ASDM) exterior of Tucson for the seventh time. Over the years I've larn quite familiar amongst the park, but at that topographic point is in addition to then much that changes from twelvemonth to twelvemonth that I ever notice something novel to larn excited about. Plus, who could ever larn tired of such a view:

View from the Vista Ramada close the entrance
Founded inwards 1952, the ASDM encompasses 97 acres of Sonoran Desert westward of Tucson, 47 of which are developed. According to their website, at that topographic point are “two miles of walking paths, sixteen private gardens, 1,200 native flora species in addition to 56,000 private plants.” Judging from the demographics I typically see, I’d tell most visitors, especially families, come upwards for the animals (a novel aquarium opened inwards 2013). But I'm certain at that topographic point are others similar me who are at that topographic point for the plants.

It was by in addition to large cloudy during my see although the Sun did construct an occasional appearance. This made for interesting photographs. The calorie-free was real "wintry," every bit yous tin sack come across here:


  
There are a lot of photos inwards this post, in addition to they are inwards the social club inwards which I took them. I exclusively had a yoke of hours because I arrived inwards the middle of the afternoon in addition to the commons unopen at five pm. This meant that I wasn't able to produce the Desert Loop Trail.

This is how I volition decorate the Mexican fighting shipping service cactus inwards my front end yard side yesteryear side Christmas

A mutual sight, but I volition never larn tired of it: fishhook barrel (Ferocactus wislizeni) in addition to ocotillo (Fouquieria splendens)

Octopus agave (Agave vilmoriniana)

Agave colorata with real pronounced banding. I wishing my specimens looked similar that.

Agave cerulata, likely var. dentiens

Agave shawii

Aloes aren't native to the New World but somehow they jibe correct inwards at the ASDM

Baja tree ocotillo (Fouquieria burragei)

Queen Victoria agave (Agave victoria-reginae)

Slipper flora (Pedilanthus macrocarpus)

Flower stem of octopus agave (Agave vilmoriniana) packed amongst hundreds of bulbils

Each bulbil is a clone of the woman nurture plant. When they're large enough, they only drib to the solid pose down in addition to many of them root.

Mescal edible bean or Texas mount laurel (Sophora secundiflora), an attractive shrub or minor tree amongst pea-like flowers in addition to large white seed pods

Agave ×arizonica, a naturally occurring hybrid betwixt 2 species native to Arizona, Agave chrysantha and Agave toumeyana var. bella. It's 1 of my favorite minor agaves, in addition to I maintain to survive baffled yesteryear how uncommon it is inwards cultivation. It's slow to grow in addition to it offsets (albeit sparingly),.

Agave ×arizonica

Ocotillo against stucco wall

Strawberry hedgehog (Echinocereus brandegeei). I recall the Castilian cry is hilarious: casa de rata, rat house.

Juvenile organ pipage cactus (Stenocereus thurberi)

Tufted eve primrose (Oenothera caespitosa

Two saguaro stems amongst a bird's inwards between
One department of the ASDM I peculiarly similar is the Agave Garden. I've written virtually it twice earlier (2012 | 2013). Unfortunately, this is what I constitute this time:



Lone Agave shawii waiting to survive moved
This is what's going on:


This is a major redesign of the Agave Garden--a reenvisioning, if yous will, centered around a limestone outcropping in addition to other stone features that volition survive much to a greater extent than dramatic than the one-time space. And at that topographic point volition survive gabion walls, an automatic plus!

Much operate remains to survive done, but the irrigation is inwards place:


Next I walked over to the Cactus Garden, which seems to accept received a fleck of a facelift every bit well. I recall these Corten planters at the entrance are a to a greater extent than recent addition:




Fishhook barrel (Ferocactus wislizeni)

Ferocactus latispinus

Ferocactus glaucescens

Brittlebush (Encelia faronisa) is a non bad companion to cactus


I constitute several absolutely perfect specimens of my favorite barrel cactus, Ferocactus pilosus:





Creeping devil (Stenocereus eruca)

Organ pipage (Stenocereus thurberi) amongst brittlebush (Encelia farinosa)

Diamond cholla (Cylindropuntia ramosissima)

Golden saguaro (Neobuxbaumia polylopha)

I appreciate interpretive signs that anticipate questions visitors powerfulness have


Cholla goodness


Echinocereus rigidissimus var. rubrispinus

Opuntia macrocentra

I'm determined to recreate this display



Nichol's hedgehog (Echinocereus nicholii)

Young saguaros

Mass planting of barrel cactus

Slipper flora (Pedilanthus macrocarpus), a euphorbia from Mexico

Ferocactus cylindraceus

Hmmm, Cactus mortus?

Ocotillo close-up

And fifty-fifty closer

Juvenile boojum tree inwards bloom (Fouquieria columnaris)

Still 1 of my favorite desert plants

Almost dorsum at the entrance--or exit

Looking west
And a few to a greater extent than photos earlier it's fourth dimension to go:




The downside of a wintertime trip is that it gets night in addition to then early, limiting what yous tin sack cram into a twenty-four hours of sightseeing. On the other hand, Arizona winters are wonderfully mild, making it the perfect fourth dimension to visit.

RELATED POSTS:

December 2016 Arizona trip index

Sumber http://www.succulentsandmore.com/
Post a Comment (0)
Previous Post Next Post