Lodge on the Desert, Tucson, AZ

When I was researching places to remain for my December 2016 Arizona trip, I was trying to notice a sensible ease betwixt comfort together with price. I didn't desire to remain inward a fleabag motel only to salve a buck (been there, done that, fifty-fifty had fun doing it dorsum inward the day), but I didn't desire to overspend either. Fortunately, Arizona is yet a produce out compared to California, together with finding a reasonably priced but dainty hotel is non hard inward Phoenix together with Tucson.

For my December 2015 trip I'd establish a great Last year many of the cactus at the Lodge on the Desert were adorned alongside Styrofoam cups to protect their growing tips from the cold. While this looked comical, it did impair the overall appearance.


Eager to notice out what the landscaping looks similar without Styrofoam cups, I decided to remain at that topographic point 1 time to a greater extent than this year. There was no Groupon produce out this time, but I was able to role my (gasp!) AARP discount. (Full disclosure: I'm nowhere close retirement, but I'm a smidge over 50 together with therefore eligible for AARP membership.)


What I didn't realize was that the Lodge on the Desert has such a long together with illustrious history, celebrating its 80th anniversary inward 2016. The maiden off edifice on the 2-acre site was a 4-bedroom person residence built inward 1931 inward what was opened upwards desert (downtown Tucson was iv miles away). By 1936 the edifice had piece of occupation yesteryear a social club alongside 7 invitee rooms. Celebrities filming westerns inward Tucson oftentimes stayed there, including John Wayne, Jimmy Steward together with Paul Newman. More rooms were added start inward the 1950s, but the Lodge every bit it exists at 1 time is the trial of a major expansion started started inward 2009. What was 1 time a spot inward the desert is at 1 time smack inward the middle of urban development. But alongside a high wall roughly the property, the Lodge yet feels to a greater extent than remote than it actually is.

The Lodge's website has a really interesting gallery of promotional materials from the 1930s through the 1990s. Quite a few things made me chuckle and/or cringe, including a map from the 1930s that proudly states that "Tucson is but xix hours from New York together with Washington, D.C. yesteryear the novel fast planes of American Airlines, Inc." and a brochure from the 1930s advertising the "American Plan" at "[r]ates from x dollars" but alert that "[o]nly those of the utmost desirability are welcome" (ouch). Influenza A virus subtype H5N1 photograph of the unpaved route to the Lodge looks similar present-day Saguaro National Park.

This is what the grounds of the Lodge on the Desert await similar now. I focused on the desert plants, but there's likewise a large lawn, presumably for families to play on, together with a really dainty heated swimming pool.




I was staying inward a casita inward an older business office of the Lodge. This is the walkway that leads there:














This was "my" pocket-sized courtyard (there are 3 rooms here; mine was the 1 inward the middle):


Looking towards the primary walkway from my forepart door:



Having stayed at that topographic point twice now, I mean value I've establish my home-away-from-home inward Tucson. Yes, at that topographic point are many other hotels, motels, inns, etc. that are cheaper but they're likewise much to a greater extent than generic. This identify has character, together with that is becoming harder together with harder to find.

RELATED POSTS:

Sumber http://www.succulentsandmore.com/
Post a Comment (0)
Previous Post Next Post