Agave pumila rot—can it hold upward stopped?

Once upon a time, I had a perfect agave I loved really much. While it wasn't just rare, it was definitely uncommon, specially at this size. Its elevate was Agave pumila:



I bought it inwards March 2016 at Grow Nursery in Cambria on the Central Coast of California too planted it inwards the dry reason inwards the smaller of the 2 succulent mounds that replaced our front end lawn.



I honey how beautifully it contrasts alongside the variegated octopus agave (Agave vilmoriniana 'Stained Glass') behind it.


My Agave pumila did peachy all summertime too autumn too wasn't fazed yesteryear the freezing temperatures nosotros had inwards Dec (San Marcos Growers says it's hardy to 20°F). 

But before this calendar month I noticed that ane leafage inwards the middle (not one touching the ground) was softer than the others. Warning bells went off inwards my head--rot!--but I was hoping it would stop. But, simply similar the rain, it didn't.

On Sabbatum I pulled off the leaf. It truly came off easily too cleanly, but it exposed this:


Yep, that was my reaction every bit well.

I sprayed the injure alongside a fungicide I had on mitt (Daconil; active ingredient: chlorothalonil), hoping for the best but non expecting it.


Influenza A virus subtype H5N1 24-hour interval subsequently the brownish surface area looks fifty-fifty darker:


At this point, I don't know what else to do, other than acquire out it alone. I volition definitely encompass the whole industrial plant life when the adjacent pelting tempest comes (Thursday) to function on it every bit dry out every bit possible.

The affair that annoys me to a greater extent than than anything else is that at that topographic point is zip to live learned from this. I suspect that somehow the leafage sustained a modest injury, allowing rot to laid it. Shit happens, every bit they say. I should too add together that I've had agaves that looked far worse, alongside rot correct inwards the center, that pulled through inwards the terminate too outgrew the damage. So I'm non giving upward quite yet.

And if this Agave pumila dies, I guide keep a smaller ane laid upward to guide keep its place:


It's yet inwards the juvenile stage, alongside a tighter rosette too stubbier leaves. As the industrial plant life ages--slowly, really slowly--the leaves elongate too the rosette becomes to a greater extent than open. There is no tape of Agave pumila ever having flowered, too then the only propagation beginning are the occasional offsets.

In Agaves of Continental Northern America, Howard Gentry speculated that Agave pumila might live a natural hybrid betwixt Agave lechuguilla and Agave victoria-reginae. This agave is only known inwards cultivation; no industrial plant life has always been industrial plant life inwards habitat. The juvenile phase lasts close 8-12 years, or mayhap indefinitely if the industrial plant life is confined to a modest pot. In a larger container, too definitely inwards the ground, the industrial plant life transforms into what yous run into inwards the photos above.
Sumber http://www.succulentsandmore.com/
Post a Comment (0)
Previous Post Next Post