Update on Jacaranda 'Bonsai Blue'

Two years ago, inward June 2015, I bought a dwarf jacaranda sold past times Monrovia nether the squall 'Bonsai Blue' together with I planted it inward large concrete container on our dorsum patio. Click hither to read my master post. Influenza A virus subtype H5N1 lot of people accept asked me how that jacaranda has fared. Time for an update!

'Bonsai Blue' is rattling much alive. In fact, it's blooming for the get-go fourth dimension ever! I'm rattling excited because I wasn't certain it was always going to flower, seeing how it receives solely a few hours of straight off sun. In total sun, I imagine it would hold out covered amongst flowers, but similar a regular full-size Jacaranda mimosifolia.

However lean they mightiness be, the flowers hold back precisely similar regular Jacaranda mimosifolia flowers:



Even if it never flowered, I'd withal dearest it for its leaves:


Bottomline: I'm happy amongst my 'Bonsai Blue' together with volition proceed to give it practiced care.

But at that spot are but about lessons learned: 

1. First together with foremost, I should accept been to a greater extent than proactive most pruning (yeah, what else is new?). As you lot tin give the axe encounter inward the get-go photo, there's i dominant leader that sticks out far inward a higher house the residual of the branches. I shouldn't accept permit that happen. In fact, I'm tempted to take the leader altogether together with then all that's left is the lower foliage. I mean value a bushier hold back hold out to a greater extent than appropriate than what I accept now.

2. 'Bonsai Blue' (I imagine similar all jacarandas) actually doesn't similar high winds inward the winter. Last December, it looked similar it would acquire inward without loosing whatever leaves. Then came a serial of air current storms that completely defoliated it. It took until March for novel leaves to grow.

3. 'Bonsai Blue' grows chop-chop equally shortly equally daytime temperatures remain inward the 70s or above.

4. 'Bonsai Blue' is quite drought-tolerant, fifty-fifty inward a pot amongst a express amount of soil. Mine gets drip-irrigated i time a calendar week (plus but about occasional grayness H2O from the kitchen when I plough over off mean value of it), together with it seems perfectly content amongst that regimen.

5. With regular pruning, I mean value I tin give the axe maintain it pocket-size plenty together with then it doesn't hold back disproproportionate for its container.

Jacaranda ‘Bonsai Blue’ marketed past times Monrovia is a truthful dwarf developed past times Kiyoshi Sakai inward Japan. It tops out at half-dozen ft. inward meridian past times five ft. inward width, equally compared to a meridian of 40+ ft. for a regular Jacaranda mimosifolia. Cold tolerance is the same at 25°F (zone 9b). The get-go 800 specimens sold past times Monrovia were contract-grown inward State of Israel past times Hochberg Export Ornamental Plants. Availability is withal limited, but hopefully it volition hold out sold inward to a greater extent than nurseries (and at a lower price) inward the years to come.



Sumber http://www.succulentsandmore.com/
Post a Comment (0)
Previous Post Next Post