Aloe splendor at Los Angeles Country Arboretum (January 2017)

The expert folks of Los Angeles County are together with hence lucky. Not solely create they guide keep the Huntington, they likewise guide keep the Los Angeles County Arboretum & Botanic Garden. The 2 are (literally!) simply v miles apart.

I've been to the Huntington twice forthwith together with know how stunning the gardens are. The L.A. County Arboretum had ever been on my listing but since I had heard it referred to equally Huntington Lite, it wasn't at the top of my list. However, on my agency abode from Palm Springs this March, I decided to cheque it out. I didn't guide keep much time--not plenty for the Huntington--but I figured an hr would survive plenty to acquire a full general impression.



Well, I was wrong. An hr was woefully insufficient because the L.A. County Arboretum is anything but Huntington Lite, it's a full-fledged peer.

Encompassing 127 acres on what i time was Rancho Santa Anita, a 13,000 patch Spanish province grant, the L.A. County Arboretum consists of several dozen gardens together with collections (like the palm together with bamboo collection), a lake, together with a multifariousness of historic structures (read to a greater extent than virtually the site's history here). It would accept many hours to run across everything. My i hr was barefully plenty to scratch the surface of the South American together with African section. For this reason, regard this transportation an extended teaser, non in-depth coverage. I'll survive dorsum shortly to explore the L.A. Country Arboretum at a to a greater extent than leisurely pace.

One of the attractions of the L.A. County Arboretum, equally I rapidly learned, are its peafowl (aka peacocks together with peahens). Some 200 of them roam the gardens together with manifestly following neighborhoods. They are descendants of the master copy birds Lucky Baldwin, the erstwhile possessor of Rancho Santa Anita, imported from Bharat inward the slowly 1800s. I was lucky because quite a few males were create to exhibit off their materials when I was there.






Aside from a brief foray into the Celebration Garden above, my brief visited focused on 2 areas: the Desert Display Garden together with the Africa Collection. Most plants weren't labeled but I volition give an ID where I'm reasonably sure. Otherwise I'll simply allow you lot bask the photos.



Euphorbia resinifera (left) together with Aloe cameronii (right)



Calibanus hookeri

Ferocactus glaucescens

Ferocactus glaucescens

Agave ovatifolia

Agave ovatifolia
Now we're virtually the scamper across the walkway into Africa:


Euphorbia tirucalli 'Sticks on Fire'



Aloe ferox

Bismarckia nobilis from Madagascar

Bismarckia nobilis

Bismarckia nobilis and Aloe vaombe, i of the most stunning aloes inward my majority (also from Madagascar)








Can you lot say I brutal inward dear amongst Aloe vaombe on this trip?

Aloe vaombe and Pachypodium lameri in the Republic of Madagascar Spiny Forest


Madagascar Spiny Forest

Asparagus densiflorus 'Myers' together with Euphorbia tirucalli 'Sticks on Fire'

Aloe barberae



Aloe barberae

Aloe arborescens (or hybrid)


Aloe ×principis (Aloe arborescens × Aloe ferox)




Euphorbia horrida



Euphorbia horrida flowers

More Euphorbia tirucalli 'Sticks on Fire' (behind NOID aloes)







Aloe excelsa

Aloe ferox

Fever tree (Vachellia xanthophloea, formerly Acacia xanthophloea)

Unfortunately, aloe mites are a fact of life inward Southern California. I saw signs of infestation inward quite a few plants.

This transportation barely covers the Desert Display Garden together with aloes inward the Africa Collection. There are literally dozens of other gardens to explore at the L.A. County Arboretum. I can't await for my following visit!






Sumber http://www.succulentsandmore.com/
Post a Comment (0)
Previous Post Next Post