Arizona 2016: Day 1: Desert Botanical Garden as well as more

It’s the halt of December, too I’m dorsum inwards Arizona. This is my 4th Dec trip to Arizona inwards a row (2013 | 2014 | 2015) too then I suppose it’s OK to telephone telephone it a tradition now. This fourth dimension I flew because I could exclusively carve out 5 days. Instead of buying what I desire too tossing it inwards the car, similar on the previous ii trips, anything I purchase has to jibe inwards my suitcase. We’ll meet how that goes.

I arrived inwards Phoenix final evening—late because a gas cap was missing on our airplane too a mechanic had to banking concern check it out earlier leaving Sacramento. That wouldn’t accept been too then bad, but when I got to the Hertz counter at Phoenix Sky Harbor (“The Friendliest Airport inwards America”) to selection upwards my rental car, it turned out that they had run out of cars. And yes, they blamed it on Christmas, equally if Christmas had somehow snuck upwards on them. At to the lowest degree a dozen disgruntled customers were inwards the same boat. In essence, nosotros had to expect until cars were dropped off too could hold out cleaned. In my illustration it took “only” thirty minutes (some people patently had to expect longer), but I’m all the same pissed at Hertz. Instead of apologizing to us, the persuasion with the Hertz employees was that we should hold out to a greater extent than sympathetic to their situation. Not cool. I’m done with Hertz too volition rent elsewhere from immediately on.

One a much to a greater extent than positive note, my take in to the Desert Botanical Garden (DBG) this forenoon was fantastic. Just similar it ever is. It genuinely is i of my favorite constitute places to visit. And since I don’t come upwards hither that often, it never gets old. I produce recognize private plants immediately (“hey, quondam friend”) but they’re constantly improving too refining. Unlike too then many other botanical gardens, the DBG appears to hold out good funded, which warms my heart.

I took fewer pictures at the DBG than inwards recent years—a witting endeavor non to photograph the same things over too over—but I all the same ended upwards with over 200 novel images. I’ll accept several dedicated posts inwards Jan too February. To whet your appetite, hither are a few collages:





In the early on afternoon, I left Phoenix too headed southeast towards Tucson. But this yr I made a halt nigh one-half way, visiting Facebook friend BJ Seemuth inwards Casa Grande. BJ too her hubby moved at that spot from Chicago nigh 10 years ago. She’s a main gardener too works at the Pinal County Cooperative Extension of the University of Arizona College of Agriculture & Life Sciences, pedagogy classes on subjects similar constitute propagation too advising homeowners on garden-related matters. She is a truthful succulent fanatic. In add-on to the many cactus planted inwards the ground, she has a large collection of potted succulents that overwinter inwards a small-scale greenhouse too racks nether the eaves of the house. While it was 68°F when I was there, Casa Grande tin larn frost into early on March.



I arrived inwards Tucson with an hr of daylight to spare too then I took photos of the landscaping at the Lodge on the Desert where I’m i time once again staying. Last year most of the cactus were covered with Styrofoam cups to protect their growing tips (see the collage of photos from BJ’s identify above). This wintertime must hold out much warmer inwards Tucson because there’s non a unmarried Styrofoam loving cup inwards sight.


Tomorrow’s agenda is packed: Tucson Botanical Garden, Plants for the Southwest Nursery, Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum. In the winter, at that spot aren’t that many hours of daylight too then I ever seem to hold out on the go. Strangely, equally much equally I loathe existence inwards a hurry at home, I don’t hear when I’m on vacation.

RELATED POSTS:




Sumber http://www.succulentsandmore.com/
Post a Comment (0)
Previous Post Next Post