Whirlwind trip to the Southern California desert--Palm Springs in addition to beyond

Last calendar week I made a whirlwind trip to Southern California to catch with friends from Portland who were renting a condo inwards Palm Springs. It really was a crazy trip: drive downwards Thursday, drive dorsum Sunday. But I dearest route trips, as well as I dearest the desert, thence how could I tell no? Especially when I had the chance to combine it with a brief catch with some other friend, Luisa of Crow as well as Raven.

I saw wonderful gardens as well as plants, I took lots of photos, as well as I volition bring quite a few dedicated posts. For now, I desire to tease yous with a few collages.

My get-go halt was at Jurupa Mountains Discovery Center in Riverside. I met upwards with Luisa inwards the afternoon, as well as nosotros enjoyed photographing the succulents (the aloes were inwards total bloom!) as well as shopping inwards the nursery.



I spent the nighttime at Luisa's identify as well as had the chance to admire her extensive collection of containizered succulent on Fri morning. She has quite a few special plants equally good equally awesome containers she flora at industrial preserve stores. Not to elevate 3 sweetness as well as loving dogs.


After I met upwards with my Portland friends inwards Palm Springs on Friday, nosotros visited before, as well as I'm happy to study it's even thence equally awesome equally it was inwards 2015. Maybe fifty-fifty improve because the plants bring gotten larger. Walking simply about the extensive grounds inwards 80+ marking atmospheric condition was a vivid reminder that Southern California is real unlike from where I live, particularly inwards the winter.


Sat began brilliant as well as early on with a catch to stopped in that location in Jan 2015 on my agency dorsum from Arizona but nobody had been simply about to help me. The plant nursery continues to live good stocked although some plants are drowning inwards weeds that bring sprung upwards inwards recent weeks. For the record: I bought some other barrel cactus (Ferocactus), species unknown.


Our adjacent halt was Cabot's Pueblo Museum in Desert Hot Springs. This Hopi-style pueblo with 35 rooms was built past times Cabot Yerxa, a homesteader who settled on the 160-acre plot inwards 1913. He built the construction generally past times himself, as well as it opened equally "Cabot's Old Indian Pueblo" inwards 1945 afterwards 24 years of construction. I'll bring to a greater extent than most this unique identify inwards a carve upwards post.


Stop #3 on Sat was some other nursery, Sunland Cactus Nursery inwards Indio Hills. I had read most it inwards Sunset Magazine and was eager to banking enterprise friction match it out. Sunland is like to Mariscal (see above), but it's fifty-fifty larger. Since it's a wholesale nursery, the focus is on landscape-ready specimens. There isn't much of a alternative of smaller plants (in pots smaller than v gallon) as well as virtually nix is labeled. Still, this is the sort of identify yous desire to become to if yous need a large cactus or palm tree for your yard. 


Our lastly halt on Sat was the Thousand Palms Oasis in the Coachella Valley Preserve. I had been wanting to catch for a long time, as well as I was excited to finally walk with the towering California fan palms that grow naturally inwards this wetland formed past times H2O seeping from the San Andreas Fault. This is i really special place, equally yous tin dismiss meet below.


On Sunday, it was fourth dimension to caput home. I had originally intended to brand the 8-hour drive without whatsoever major stops but on the spur of the 2nd I decided to halt at the Huntington. Because of that, it sometimes doesn't got the recognition it deserves. No, it isn't quite inwards the same league equally the Huntington, but thence what is? Even afterwards my all-too-brief visit, I tin dismiss confidently tell that if the Huntington didn't exist, the LA County Arboretum would live the most celebrated botanical garden inwards Southern California. It actually is that impressive, equally yous tin dismiss meet below (and yes, in that location are peacocks--many peacocks!).


I've been slammed with go since I got back, but I volition start posting detailed reports real soon.


Sumber http://www.succulentsandmore.com/
Post a Comment (0)
Previous Post Next Post