WIldflower Wed - August Dreams Garden

My belatedly summer-autumn blooming border is coming along nicely equally nosotros circular the corner too caput conduct to the halt of August.

I affectionately telephone phone this item border August Dreams Garden because it is planted alongside generally native plants that bloom inwards mid to belatedly summertime too early on fall.  It's the most designed garden I have, too I endeavour to rest truthful to the overall concept yesteryear planting generally native, prairie type flowers that bloom belatedly inwards it.

Mostly.

I volition acknowledge in that place is 1 daylily called "Notify Ground Crew" alongside bloom scapes that are nearly 5 feet tall planted inwards in that place too close the edge, I snuck inwards a duo of mums I got to trial.  And before this summertime I planted 1 Crocosmia 'Lucifer' inwards a bare spot.

I accept every intention of moving the Crocosmia adjacent spring, too may for sake of "sticking to the plan" become ahead too motion the daylily too the mums. Then this genuinely would move a completely native wildflower garden.

Pardon me if I don't piece of job the botanical names to nation yous it is filled alongside Black Eyed Susans, Joe Pye Weed, Boltonia, New England Asters, Snakeroot, Rattlesnake Master, Sneezeweed, Goldenrod, Tall Phlox, Blazing Star, Cupflower, Wild Petunia, Swamp Milkweed, too Prairie Dropseed. At 1 end, in that place is a copse of 3 serviceberries too at the other end, a ruby-red maple.  All native to North America.

Because non much happens inwards this border until merely about the quaternary of July, I accept a sculpture inwards the pump of it, from Girly Steel, a local artist, to add together some involvement when in that place are no flowers. I similar this sculpture, which is really a bunch of curlicues too a few conduct leaves made out of steel.  It fits inwards alongside the overall expect of this border. I can't imagine what it would expect similar alongside a sculpture of a Greek god or goddess, tin you?

I volition acknowledge when the garden designer outset proposed this option for this border, I had to throw out some of my notions of what I did too did non found inwards my garden, similar did non found grasses. I'm glad I tossed those notions into the compost bin where all my dumb ideas go.

This garden is slowly to maintain.  I merely allow it grow too thence at some point, which has lately been early on spring, I cutting it dorsum to the ground.  However, fifty-fifty if I hold back to cutting it back, I expect at those seed heads too inquire myself "do I desire those plants to grow all over the garden?"

For the most part, I don't. I've learned the difficult agency how prolific New England asters tin be, too how far too broad they tin variety their seeds. I've noticed that the Black Eyed Susans tin produce likewise.  And given the size of the Cup Flower plants, I don't desire to abide by out how good they self sow.  So belatedly inwards the fall, good afterwards the killing frost, too afterwards the birds accept had a adventure to consume a flake from the garden, I cutting off many of the seed heads.

In such a modest garden, it helps me hold some feel of order, inwards a garden that doesn't at outset look to accept much order. But it has an order, an companionship that solely wildflowers tin select to a garden when they are happily growing amidst, between, upward through, around, too over 1 some other inwards 1 happy belatedly blooming party.

Join inwards for Wildflower Midweek hosted yesteryear Gail at Clay too Limestone on the quaternary Midweek of the calendar month to encounter to a greater extent than posts close wildflowers.


Sumber http://www.maydreamsgardens.com/
Post a Comment (0)
Previous Post Next Post