Conquering Cabbage Consternation

I'll acknowledge that it has been years, if non decades, since I planted cabbage in addition to broccoli inwards my vegetable garden.

When I tried to grow them dorsum inwards the day, it never failed that inside weeks of planting, the pretty white cabbage butterflies would notice my plants, lay their eggs in addition to and therefore their larvae, piddling dark-green worms, commenced to eat my crops.

Oh the unsightly mess. I produce non purpose pesticides inwards my vegetable garden therefore that was never an selection to command them.

I knew I could comprehend them with white textile to fall out the butterflies from laying their eggs, but I merely don't similar that await inwards my vegetable garden.

So why accept I decided to grow cabbage in addition to broccoli again?

Because I spend upward to allow "them" win. I don't accept many novel tricks upward my gardening sleeve other than to hold out to a greater extent than watchful for the eggs which the butterflies volition lay on the underside of the lower leaves.  I am every bit good trying a technique of placing a modest underground of cardboard, cutting from a newspaper towel roll, some the base of operations of each plant. This may or may non fall out the butterflies from laying their eggs.

And I interplanted the cabbage in addition to brocolli alongside some tulips I planted at the cease of each raised bed.


I would exhibit to a greater extent than of the beds with the tulips inwards flower because it is pretty, but the weeds. The weeds! So unsightly. They ruin the view. I am going committed to weeding them out earlier Easter.

I don't know if the interplanting volition shroud the cabbage in addition to broccoli plants from the butterflies. But it is a skillful house to establish them. As the tulips perish back, theoretically, the cabbage in addition to broccoli volition larn bigger, in addition to shroud the dying tulip foliage.

We'll encounter how it all works out.

In the meantime, I planted out my 4th apartment of alyssum yesterday. I don't know why this jump I am therefore inwards honey with these piddling blooms.
It could hold out their scent. It could hold out the anticipation of all the pollinators they volition attract. It could hold out that I similar the await they hand the vegetable garden, spilling out over the border of the raised beds.

Well, it volition hold out a skillful await 1 time I produce some serious weeding.

I'll study dorsum inwards a few weeks on the progress of my cabbage in addition to broccoli, in addition to my other crops already planted including peas, lettuce, spinach, onion sets, radishes, kale, in addition to Swiss chard. Plus the weeding.




Sumber http://www.maydreamsgardens.com/
Post a Comment (0)
Previous Post Next Post