More novel plants, every mo if I needed them!

Prepare yourselves for a shocking confession: I've never met a found (sale) I don't like.

OK, you're in all probability non all that surprised to ask heed that. After all, I regularly write nearly my found sale escapades.

The saga continued this yesteryear weekend.

On Saturday, the UC Davis Arboretum held its concluding found sale of the season. Traditionally, this is a clearance sale where all remaining plants are 10% off. This twelvemonth they went all out too upped the discount to 25%—with Arboretum members getting an additional 10% off, for a total of 35%.

To sweeten the bargain fifty-fifty more, many plants were marked downward to $6. Take 35% off $6, too the concluding cost for those plants was $3.90! Practically free!

What could I do? I exactly had to go.

I met upwards amongst beau blogger Kathy Stoner (click here to see her spider web log GardenBook) too nosotros spent a intensely focused hr too one-half on the real serious describe organisation of found shopping. Both of us had gone through the inventory listing ahead of fourth dimension too marked plants of interest. That helped us store efficiently too productively.

Here is my haul:

My found haul from the UC Davis Arboretum clearance sale on Nov 4, 2017
H5N1 total of xiv plants for a footling over $70.

The 2 ×Manfreda 'Lavender Lady' on the left are for a friend, the residuum are mine

Top: Echeveria 'Ghostbuster' (Echeveria elegans × Echeveria colorata)  Bottom: Kotschy’s stonecress (Aethionema kotschyi), a pocket-size groundcover

Gasteria batesiana

Silver bush lupine (Lupinus albifrons)
  
Phormium 'Duet', a dwarf New Zealand flax topping out at 2 ft. It hadn't been on my list, but at $3.90 I'm willing to gain it a try.

Mimulus 'Fiesta Marigold'

Gaillardia × grandiflora 'Arizona Red Shades'

Garnet geranium (Pelargonium sidoides), a pocket-size perennial amongst silver-gray leaves too pocket-size garnet-colored flowers. I've wanted to attempt ane for tranquillity a while. It's a skillful companion for aloes.

'Danielle's Dream' Mexican bush sage (Salvia leucantha 'Danielle's Dream'), a footling to a greater extent than compact than the species too sporting pinkish flowers amongst white calyxes. Generally I'm non a big fan of pinkish flowers, but this is a genuinely exciting plant.

Here is a listing of what I bought at the UC Davis Arboretum clearance sale (the descriptions are from the UC Davis Arboretum found inventory listing for this sale):

Botanical Name Common Name Description
× Mangave 'Lavender Lady'  perennial mangave Up to 10"x16".  Smoky regal basal leaves w burgandy dots too silvery gray shades.  Brown terminal spine on each leaf.  Maturing ovate leaves lighten to green. Drought tol.
Correa pulchella 'Orange Flame' orange flaming bell correa low growing, wintertime bloom w/orng. fls.; semi-dry shade or Sun w/water
Cyrtomium falcatum 'Rochfordianum' Japanese holly fern evergrn. fern to 1.5’ yesteryear 3’ for shade
Echeveria 'Ghost Buster' stonecrop Slow growing shape amongst gorgeous pale alabaster foliage. WIll pup over time. Hardy to at to the lowest degree 25 F. Prefers to a greater extent than or less afternoon shade.
Gaillardia x grandiflora 'Arizona Red Shades' blanket flower to 12". Daisy-like flws inwards shades of crimson, to a greater extent than or less w/yellow tips. Drought tolerant. Needs skillful drainage. Sun. Attracts butterflies, hummingbirds.
Lupinus albifrons silver bush lupine 4' evergn peren, fragrant blueish flr spikes inwards saltation that attracts butterflies, total sun, skillful drainage, depression water
Mimulus 'Fiesta Marigold' Jelly Beans™ Fiesta Marigold Monkeyflower  to 2'; upright rounded, compact. Large, ruffled scarlet flowers w/light orangish petal margins too tube. Drought tolerant.
Pelargonium sidoides garnet geranium 8"; fls. stalks to 14", dk. velvety garnet fls.
Salvia leucantha 'Danielle's Dream' Mexican bush sage 3'x4'. Pink flws inside fuzzy white calyxes, fall. Sun. Drought tolerant.
Sideritis cypria Cyprian woundwort 12” mound; fuzzy wht. lvs., sm. chartreuse fls.


But at that spot is more. 

I besides picked upwards a mature blood lily (Haemanthus coccineus) from the UC Davis Botanical Conservatory. This South African bulb, a fellow member of the Amaryllis family, sends upwards bright orange-red flowers inwards tardily summer, followed yesteryear long (very long!) strappy leaves inwards the fall. The leaves commencement to transcend dorsum inwards tardily saltation too the found goes dormant for the summer. Its white-flowering cousin Haemanthus albiflos is reasonably slow to rails down, but Haemanthus coccineus is less common. And mature plants of either species are a existent find. My specimen came from a 25-year one-time colony on the UC Davis campus that was latterly thinned out. I'm real excited although I'm non quite certain yet where I volition found it.


"Haemanthus coccineus flower at the Botanical Garden of the University of Basel" yesteryear James Steakley is licensed under CC BY-SA 3.0 

As if that weren't enough, we're withal non quite done. On Sun morning time I had to brand a Lowe's run to purchase my favorite succulent mix, which exclusively Lowe's seems to deport inwards our area. On my agency to dorsum of the garden centre where the soil products are located I walked correct yesteryear the found clearance racks. Of class I had to banking concern tally them over. And every bit if yesteryear magic, 3 plants flung themselves into my cart. They must convey sensed that I convey a skillful catch too wanted to come upwards dwelling describe solid amongst me. How could I resist? The fact that the were heavily discounted made it a no brainer.

Haul from the Lowe's clearance rack
Here's what I rescued from the Lowe's clearance rack:
  • 'Evening Glow' New Zealand flax (Phormium 'Evening Glow'); I'd already bought before for the backyard, too this ane went at that spot every bit well
  • 'All Gold' Japanese wood grass (Hakonechloa macra 'All Gold'); besides for the backyard
  • Dwarf lomandra (Lomandra longifolia 'Breeze'); an almost mature specimen inwards a 5-gallon pot
After reading this, I'm certain yous convey the same enquiry I had this morning: Where volition all these plants go?

Well, I was a busy man child too got most of the plants inwards the ground. Some went inwards the backyard, to a greater extent than or less inwards the front. I'll post an update soon.

As of this even out (November 4, 2017), the exclusively plants withal inwards pots are these:
  • Lomandra longifolia 'Breeze'
  • Haemanthus coccineus
  • Salvia leucantha 'Danielle's Dream'
  • ×Mangave 'Lavender Lady', but they're for a friend anyway


Sumber http://www.succulentsandmore.com/
Post a Comment (0)
Previous Post Next Post