I had approximately time, I had approximately seeds

I had some time, I had some seeds, thus I decided to sow those seeds for a autumn harvest inwards my vegetable garden. I lay them all inwards ane bed, the bed where mash plants met an early on demise at the offset sign of those awful mash bugs.

By putting them all together inwards ane bed, I figured I could encompass them easily plenty if nosotros had an early on frost.

But nosotros didn't conduct maintain an early on frost. In fact, we've only had ane morning time where at that topographic point was fifty-fifty a hint of frost. Overall, the weather condition has been mild all autumn as well as thus alongside minimal attempt on my part, I've got some salad veggies to pick.

First up—a few plants of the novel pea multifariousness from Burpee, 'Masterpiece'. They tout that this multifariousness doesn't demand back upward as well as it has those actually awesome tendrils.  The leaves, tendrils, pea pods as well as peas are all edible.

I was surprised the peas grew plenty to blossom as well as and then lo-and-behold, at that topographic point is a pea pod, too. I'm non certain why I was surprised, though. Peas grow.

The tendrils are my favorite role of this variety. They expect proficient all on their ain inwards a vase as well as would brand a squeamish garnishment for a vegetable dish or a salad.

I also grew kale.
I rarely grow members of the Brassicaceae family, the cruciferous vegetables similar kale as well as its cousins cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower as well as Brussels sprouts, non because I don't similar them, but because they are almost straight off attacked yesteryear piddling light-green caterpillars as well as presumably other bugs.

I was pleasantly surprised that the bugs conduct maintain left the kale alone. I estimate it isn't the brassica-eating bugs' season, thus the kale continues to grow virtually untouched, except yesteryear me. I've been snipping off leaves hither as well as at that topographic point for salads.

On the other hand, only every bit an aside, the Brussels sprouts I planted inwards the trammel conduct maintain been nearly decimated yesteryear bugs.
"Carol, why didn't y'all produce something virtually that?"you are bespeak yourself. I shrug my shoulders. I only didn't. Maybe because the Brussels sprouts are an experiment for me, an experiment I wanted to fail.  I only grew them to alive upward to my ain challenge—Grow vegetables y'all don't similar because maybe y'all volition similar them when they are homegrown.

But it looks similar inwards spite of my lack-a-daisical approach to growing them, I'm however going to teach some Brussels sprouts. And I'll conduct maintain to swallow them.

Side note, y'all tin run across inwards the film of Brussels sprouts that I've started to lay shredded leaves on the veg garden beds. I decided the beds demand to a greater extent than organic matter, thus I'm adding leaves from the lawn as well as innovation to harvest iii bins worth of compost to lay on top of the leaves. Then, where those iii bins are currently, I'm going to brand that surface area some other blossom border.  I conduct maintain 2 other compost bins that I've gear upward on the other side of the veg garden, adjacent to a Brown Turkey fig I only planted. I'll brand produce alongside only 2 compost bins.

Anyway, what was this post service about?  Or right, autumn sown vegetables.

I'm pulling some squeamish lettuce out of the garden.
I mostly constitute lettuce pretty tight as well as and then only accomplish inwards as well as snip the bigger leaves every bit I'm cook to swallow them.

I'm also growing some spinach—you tin run across the tiny light-green leaves inwards the upper correct of the film of lettuce—but I haven't been every bit impressed yesteryear it, maybe because that's the ane crop the rabbits seemed to accept a fancy to. And no, I didn't produce anything to protect the spinach from the rabbits. But at that topographic point are a dyad of piddling plants of spinach left thus I'm hopeful alongside the continued mild fall, they'll grow a chip to a greater extent than as well as I'll conduct maintain some spinach to swallow alongside my lettuce.

The other vegetable I planted was radishes. They did okay. I thinned them only a chip belatedly thus they didn't shape roots every bit large every bit I would conduct maintain liked. Either that or I planted them when the Luna was waxing as well as I should conduct maintain planted them when the Luna was waning, if y'all accept stock inwards such things. But inwards spite of my laziness as well as potentially pathetic timing, I however got a few to swallow as well as at that topographic point are to a greater extent than coming on.

Considering I've non actually planted much for autumn inwards my piddling garden inwards the past, I am pretty happy alongside what I'm harvesting now. It is improve than naught as well as honestly took minimal time. Influenza A virus subtype H5N1 piddling sowing, a litte weeding as well as at nowadays I tin brand a fresh salad out of it.

My only electrical load is I didn't sow plenty of these piddling crops. I sowed brusk piddling experimental rows.  Too short. Where was my faith inwards those seeds as well as my gardening abilities?

I'm making notes at nowadays to innovation for a bigger autumn veg garden adjacent year.

Who knows, I mightiness fifty-fifty attempt some autumn cabbages.



Sumber http://www.maydreamsgardens.com/
Post a Comment (0)
Previous Post Next Post